Explore nature in our flourishing Wildlife Garden, a tranquil haven for plants and animals in the heart of the city.
The garden is home to thousands of British flora and fauna and more than 2,600 species have been identified in the garden since it opened in 1995.
Highlights and attractions
- see the different bee species feeding on nectar of the blooming and vibrant heather and dwarf gorse on our heathland habitat
- look out for azure damselflies as well as southern hawker and common darter dragonflies
- watch blackbirds gorge on rowan berries
- our growing fox cubs are active in the garden at the beginning and end of the day
- holly blue, large white, red admiral butterflies and hummingbird hawkmoth can be seen around the garden
The Wildlife Garden is open daily from 1 April to 31 October, with regular free family events.
You can learn more about our Wildlife Garden on the museum's blog.