Diplodocus : this is your life
The story of our Diplodocus cast goes back more than a hundred years.
We take a look back at its long life as one of the best-loved exhibits in the history of the Museum.
A star cast
The Museum's Diplodocus skeleton cast, known affectionately as Dippy, has for many years been the first sight to greet Museum visitors.
When it was unveiled to the public in 1905, the Diplodocus became a star, and has since featured in newspaper cartoons, news reports and even played starring roles in film and television.
Cast from the type specimen found in America, the Diplodocus has moved location, changed posture and in 2016 the Museum announced that Dippy would be replaced by a blue whale skeleton.
Diplodocus was first described as a new type of dinosaur in 1878 by Professor Othniel C Marsh at Yale University. The species lived sometime between 156 and 145 million years ago and belongs to a group called sauropods, meaning 'lizard feet'.
'Most colossal animal on Earth'
When railroad workers unearthed the fossilised bones of a Diplodocus in Wyoming, USA in 1898, newspapers billed the discovery as the 'most colossal animal ever on Earth'.
Scottish-born millionaire businessman Andrew Carnegie heard the reports and set out to acquire the bones as a centrepiece for his new museum in Pittsburg.
During the reconstruction of the skeleton at the Carnegie Museum, experts discovered subtle differences from the two other Diplodocus species known at the time, Diplodocus longus and Diplodocus lacustris.
The new species was named Diplodocus carnegii in honour of its owner.
By order of the King
King Edward VII saw a sketch of the Diplodocus while visiting Carnegie at his Scottish castle and remarked how much he'd like a similar specimen for the animal galleries of the Natural History Museum. Carnegie obliged by commissioning a replica cast of his dinosaur.
Dippy is one of 10 replicas of the original D. carnegii in museums around the world, including Paris, Berlin, Vienna, and Moscow.
The 292-bone skeleton arrived in London in 36 packing cases and was unveiled to the public four months later in a lavish ceremony for 300 people, on Friday 12 May 1905.
Dippy was originally housed in the Reptile Gallery (now Human Biology), because it was too big for the Fossil Reptile Gallery (now Creepy Crawlies).
War and peace
During World War II the skeleton was disassembled and relocated to the basement to protect it from bomb damage.
And in 1979, the Diplodocus made the move to Hintze Hall, where it remained until 2017.
Its appearance has changed over the years, reflecting advances in our understanding of dinosaur biology and evolution.
The dinosaur's head originally pointed downwards with the tail resting on the ground.
Following new research in the 1960s, the neck was raised to a horizontal position and in 1993, the tail was repositioned to curve spectacularly over visitors' heads.
Welcome this cuddly dinosaur into your home.
Browse the full range of Diplodocus toys and gifts in our online shop.